Tottenham in Haringey is shaped by poverty and lack of opportunity. It is fuelling the anger behind the riots.
- 6,550 people, 8.3 percent of the UK total, are claiming Job Seekers Allowance—more than half the 10,500 claimants in the borough
- Benefit claimants are double the number across London—more than double the UK figure (3.4 percent)
- Tottenham has the highest level of unemployment in London
- Over 50 percent of those unemployed are young people
- 40 percent of young people live in poverty
- Tottenham is the sixth most deprived borough in London and council cuts are making things worse.
- The council has cut its youth budget by 75 percent
- Eight youth centres have been closed this year, out of 12