The demolition of a south London playground has been delayed after activists occupied the site to save it.
The Battersea Park adventure playground was due to be demolished on Monday of this week.
But anti-cuts campaigners from Wandsworth Against Cuts and Occupy London set up camp on the site on the Saturday.
Norman Maclean has been involved in the campaign. “Builders and police were around today,” he said on Monday, “but they didn’t try to move in. That’s been delayed because of the occupation.”
The occupation is demanding that the council halts its plans to destroy the much-loved playground and to sack play staff who are employed there. It says the staff provide a safe and stimulating play environment for children.
Norman added, “The crucial question now is building support from people on local estates and trade unionists.” He called for more to join the occupation.
The adventure playground was previously at the centre of a campaign last year when the Tory council threatened to bring in charges for its use. That plan was defeated.