In 2010 the government released figures stating that the Trident system is made up of:
- 4 submarines with one on patrol at any one time
- 8 Trident missiles on each submarine
- 180 nuclear warheads. Each missile carries up to 12—all of which will be replaced
What could you get for the same money?
- 120,000 newly qualified nurses every year for the next 10 years
- 60,000 newly-qualified teachers every year for the next 20 years
- £2,500 for every pensioner, or free public transport for generations to come
Hypocrisy over Israel's nukes
Nuclear weapons make the world a more dangerous place.
Israel holds nuclear weapons and yet has refused to sign up to the United Nations (UN) non-proliferation treaty.
In December of last year member states of the UN voted 179 to six that Israel must let weapons inspectors in—and still it refuses.